Miller Camera Support SystemWarning! These tripods are not for everyone! The Millers are up there with the best of the best, what the pro shooters use in the real world. If you’re just starting out we suggest trying out the Bogen 501 head and a pair of inexpensive legs for under $300. That set-up is a great deal and we wouldn’t want to steer you the wrong way. Now, if your productions demand ultra smooth moves these are a choice pick. Wondering why an inexpensive tripod doesn’t seem to produce subtle stops when ending a pan or tilt? In this case, it’s not you, it’s the gear!
After using a tripod of this caliber, it will be hard to go back to using anything else.
The Miller is very forgiving and instantly provides you with those super fluid shots like you see in broadcast television and on the big screen. The fluid head makes you feel like, and effortlessly look like a big time Hollywood pro. Whether you’re a 20 year industry veteran or just starting out. Look at any news cameraman, what kind of tripod are they using? These guys absolutely do it right. Miller invented the fluid head. How’s that for a pedigree? Following the action and stopping on a dime with no backlash is paramount for any high quality footage – this fluid head with counter balance helps your pans and tilts all look like “money shots”. There are two choices for legs, one is aluminum and the second is the “SOLO” carbon fiber legs. The aluminum legs are less expensive, but heavier, the carbon fiber legs are lighter (but still sturdy), faster to set-up, and can drop down to 14″. DV Magazine gives the Miller SOLO DS-10 a 4 out of 5 rating. Read the article by DV veteran Bruce A. Johnson here.This is the tripod used in all of our shoots.
Bottomline: If you’re doing lock down shots, or if you’re on a budget get the Bogen. If you’re doing lots of moves and need professional results, get the Miller. When making a decision also consider that you may go through several cameras, but you will keep the same tripod for years to come.
Miller (carbon fiber) SOLO DS-10 Tripod System (cameras up to 10lbs) With soft case Availability: Usually ships same / next business day
Regular price: $1595 Mfr # 1511Our Price: $1264.95
Miller SOLO DV Sysem (carbon fiber) highlights:
1. Fluid head with variable drag control and load balancing witth quick release.
2. Neoprene covered legs makes it comfortable to grab and pack. Especially in cold weather environments when grabbing a metal
tripod leg with your bare hands is sheer torture.
3. Lightweight carbon fiber legs. Back in photography school we were always told to get a heavy tripod, especially for those slow shutter speed shots. Not such a good thing when you go hiking up Mt. Everest or getting your luggage weighed at the airport. This tripod is less than 10lbs, very light to pack, yet rigid and sturdy.
4.Drops down to a mere 14″ for those low creative shots. Concentric leg locks make it quick and easy. No need to carry a separate “baby” or high hat.
5. Ball leveling head makes it fast and easy to horizontally adjust with bubble, no need for a spreader with height adjustable legs.If you have an XL-2 or PD-150 sized camera, keep in mind the DS-10 is the only fluid head ever specifically developed to allow you to quickly counter balance no matter the lens or battery combo.Tech Specs:
• DS-5 Fluid Head (#180) • 1x Pan Bar (#686)• Camera Mounting Plate (#820)• Carry Strap (#1524)• Softcase (#1522)• 3-Year Parts and Labor Warranty Load Capacity 5 lbMount/Base 75mm 3″ Half BallBalance Plate Yes, FixedPan & Tilt Range 360°, +90/-70°Pan & Tilt Drag StaticLeveling Bubble/Illuminated Yes / NonMaterial Carbon FiberLeg Stages/Sections 2/3Minimum Height 14.5″Maximum Height 69.2″Folded Length 32.8″Weight 9.6 lbs
• DS-10 Fluid Head (#182) • 1x Pan Bar (#686)• Camera Mounting Plate (#490) with Screw Adapter Carriage (#493)• Carry Strap (#1224)• Softcase (#1522)• 3-Year Parts and Labor Warranty Load Capacity 2-steps, 5 and 10 lbMount/Base 75mm 3″ Half BallBalance Plate Yes, +/- 60mm Sliding RangePan & Tilt Range 360°, +90/-70°Pan & Tilt Drag StaticLeveling Bubble/Illuminated Yes / NonMaterial Carbon FiberLeg Stages/Sections 2/3Minimum Height 14.5″Maximum Height 69.2″Folded Length 32.8″Weight 9.6 lbs
DS5 Solo DV Alloy System
The DS5 SOLO DV 2-stage Alloy system gets your Sony PDX10, Panasonic DVX-100 or JVC HD-10 right down to 9″ and all the way up to 63″ with rock solid stability and ultra-light weight. SOLO combines the new SOLO DV telescoping alloy tripod with the smooth-as-silk drag of the DS5 75mm ball levelling true fluid head.
- Ultrasmooth, true fluid drag
- 75mm adjustable ball levelling
- Quick release sliding camera plate with 1/4″ & pin
- Alloy/magnesium 2-Stage telescoping
- Leg angle locks for 8″ – 63″ height range
- Spike/Rubber feet support
5.15 kg (11.3 lb)
2.5 kg (5.5 lb)
0 to 2.5 kg
831 mm (32.7 in)
75mm ball leveling
Miller (Alloy) SOLO DS-5 Tripod System With soft case
Availability: Usually ships same/next day
Solo DV 2-Stage Alloy Tripod
The 2-Stage telescoping SOLO DV alloy tripod is designed for the single operator: quickly and securely setting up to 63″ (161cm), packing down to a compact 27″ (70cm) for transport; and hitting a low 9″ (23cm). Selectable leg angle locks ensure rapid stabilisation at any height, while the 75mm diecast alloy bowl and fluid head bubble level offers quick leveling, optimum torsional rigidity and durability under extreme field conditions.
High quality precision Mini-DV head DS5 Fluid Head (180)
Your Mini DV camera attaches to the DS5 fluid head using the industry standard ¼” + pin attachment and provides a true fluid pan and tilt drag offering smooth movements needed to produce high quality MiniDV moves. Disc style tilt and pan locks guarantee non-slip rock-solid lock-off shooting positions. 75mm ball levelling lets you set up your tripod to any position, then quickly adjust your fluid head using the rear-mounted bubble level for perfect horizon setting.
- Mini DV camcorders to 2.5kg
- True Fluid Pan and Tilt drag
- Integrated Tilt counterbalance system
- Quick release sliding camera plate: 1/4″ Screw and Pin
- Disk lock pan/tilt braking system
- 75mm ball levelling with bubble level